Thursday, November 21, 2013

New PoSt Requirements for Computer Science

Not sure if this is entirely relevant, but here goes. I feel like rant- discussing.

I, and presumably all the other first years taking a computer science course, received an email stating that the Comp. Sci. PoSts are going to have a high cut-off average that is to be announced. This is in order to ensure all students enrolled in a PoSt will make it into their required classes. This is really great for Comp. Sci. students but sucks for me.

I like computer science courses and programming in general because I see it as a useful and interesting skill, even if it isn't particularly relevant to my degree focus or future career. Technology is a huge and important part of most lives (in developed countries) and having an understanding of how it works is also key.

I intended to take maybe one computer science course a year, just to keep going. However, these new requirements have deterred this.

Oh well, I'll have to pursue my hobby outside of the university's bounds. Which leads back to how I started with python in the first place, an online programming course offered by MIT.

Resources are everywhere, I won't let this stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment